Missouri Baby Dies From Rare Infection Found In Milk Formula

December 20, 2011
According to KY 3 News, the infection has been linked with a bacterium that has been found in some commercial milk formulas in the past, which led to the death of an infant.

The baby boy was born earlier this month and everything seemed normal until he became ill when he was a week old. The couple rushed the infant to the Hospital in Springfield, Missouri, where he died of complications two days later. It was determined that the child died from an infection of a bacterium known as cronobacter sakazakii. The infection is known to cause meningitis, and in extreme cases, death.

An Administrator of the Laclede County Health Department, Charla Baker, told the parents that the infection has been linked to formula powders in the past. They have since sent two samples of the formula along with the water used to prepare it to be tested.

In the meantime, the Food and Drug Administration, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, are working on the case to determine the source of the bacteria.

The Missouri Defective Product Attorneys with Cofman Townsley Injury Lawyers encourage you to contact them today if you or a loved one has been caused harm by a faulty or unsafe product.