Missouri Wrongful Death Lawsuit Settled With Natural Gas Provider

October 2, 2012
A lawsuit filed against a Missouri natural gas provider was settled with the family of an elderly couple who were killed in a home explosion several years ago. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the company agreed to pay an undisclosed sum to the family Monday in the Boone County Circuit Court before the trial began.

The St. Louis Wrongful Death lawsuit claimed the blast was caused by a natural gas buildup underneath the home. The gas leak was determined to have been the result of “a lack of overpressure protection in a 29-year-old gas regulator.” The lawsuit claimed the gas provider, Ameren Missouri, was negligent in failing to properly monitor the house’s system for leaks and was therefore responsible for the explosion.

Incidents like this leave many homeowners wondering, “How can I better protect myself and my family from this kind of accident?” If your home uses natural gas appliances, the best way is to install a natural gas detector.
Since most natural gas consists of methane, it’s important to select a unit that picks up other natural gases, such as propane. Also, a unit with a minimal lower explosive limit will detect gas faster than units with higher limits.

The St. Louis Personal Injury Lawyers with Cofman Townsley Attorneys also encourage any homeowners using natural gas to have their systems inspected by professionals annually. Doing so will ensure there are no unforeseen problems in the future.