November 6th, 2018
Almost all employers in Missouri are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance to cover their workers if they get hurt or develop an illness on the job that puts them out of work. And while those benefits are designed to help workers keep up with their expenses while they’re recovering, they’re often out of reach for the people who need them the most.
At Cofman Townsley, our St. Louis workers’ compensation attorneys know that many victims are fighting an uphill battle on two fronts:
- Their employers may be reluctant to admit or acknowledge that their health problems occurred at work. That’s because documenting those claims can cost them money.
- The Missouri Division of Workers’ Compensation has strict criteria for approving workers’ compensation claims, and small mistakes, oversights, or inaccuracies can result in claims being reduced or denied.
Complying with the demands of the workers’ compensation board while your employer is working against you can feel overwhelming—especially when you are trying to recover from a serious injury or illness. Our legal team knows what you’re going through, and we know how the system works.
When you choose us to handle your workers’ compensation claim, you’ll get our years of experience on your side—not to mention our negotiating skills and our dedication to making sure your chances of getting full compensation are maximized in every facet of your claim.
Don’t lose out on the money you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
October 2nd, 2018
Auto accidents, slip and fall accidents, medical malpractice—they all have one thing in common: other people’s negligence.
At Cofman Townsley, we believe that people who were harmed because of the negligence of others shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for their own injury-related expenses. The medical bills associated with many types of negligence-related injuries and illnesses can be enormous. Many families have difficulty paying for them and keeping up with their day-to-day living expenses, especially when the primary income earner is too sick or hurt to work.
Our St. Louis personal injury lawyers stand up for the rights of victims who were harmed through no fault of their own. We maximize victims’ chances of getting the compensation they deserve by collecting evidence that proves they weren’t liable. Then, we calculate how much money they should get based on their accident-related expenses. Finally, we negotiate with the insurance company to finalize a fair settlement.
Having a lawyer on your side makes the compensation process easier on you and your family. Instead of worrying about what to say when the insurance adjuster calls or stressing out over paperwork and deadlines, you can focus on getting better. It’s our job to deal with the big and small details while you spend time with your friends and family.
Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help your family during this difficult time.
September 4th, 2018
If you were hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you should be able to get compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. But insurance companies didn’t become billion-dollar corporations by giving money to every deserving victim.
In most cases, insurance companies play hardball with victims, and that means they often offer “lowball” settlements that are only enough to pay for a fraction of the initial accident-related expenses. But in other cases, insurers and their adjusters deny claims entirely—especially when victims make mistakes immediately after and in the weeks following their accidents.
Three of the most common mistakes victims make include:
- Admitting fault for the crash—Never admit fault prematurely for an accident, even if you think you might have been partially responsible for causing it. Admitting fault can make it difficult for you to get compensation, even if evidence later proves you had no liability for the crash.
- Lying about your injuries—Go to the hospital or visit a doctor right away after the accident to get evaluated and a diagnosis of your injuries. If the insurance company finds out that you exaggerated or downplayed the severity or number of your injuries, they may deny your claim.
- Waiting too long to get a St. Louis car accident lawyer—The clock is ticking after a car accident. Evidence can disappear and the statute of limitations can expire. In addition, insurance companies often view delayed claims with skepticism, and they may think your injuries are due to something other than the accident.
Call Cofman Townsley today for a free consultation. We’re here to help you get the money you deserve.
August 7th, 2018
When you enter another person’s or party’s property, you shouldn’t have to worry about potential dangers like slick floors, uneven sidewalks, or broken stairs.
But the unfortunate reality is that many private and public places, including homes, stores, restaurants, and parks, can be dangerous due to certain hazards.
It’s up to the people who own and manage properties to be on the lookout for potential hazards and to immediately take the necessary steps to reduce or eliminate the risks that guests or other occupiers might face. That doesn’t always happen, and when dangerous conditions are allowed to persist, serious injuries can occur.
At Cofman Townsley, our St. Louis slip and fall lawyers are dedicated to holding negligent property owners and managers responsible for any injuries that occur on their premises. For more than 40 years, we’ve helped innocent victims recover compensation for accident-related expenses, such as:
- Medical bills—Slip and fall injuries can result in broken bones and even paralysis. Medical care for those injuries can be overwhelming, but we want to help you get the money you need.
- Lost wages—Broken legs and arms can cause temporary disability, while head, neck, and spinal injuries can put victims out of work permanently. It’s our goal to fight to get you compensation for your lost wages.
- Pain and suffering—Your slip and fall injuries can make it difficult or impossible for you to do the things you love. We believe you should be compensated for those losses.
Call today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience to work for you.
July 3rd, 2018
Boating is a fun recreational activity that can quickly become dangerous when operators are distracted, reckless, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
At Cofman Townsley, our St. Louis boat accident lawyers are here to help anyone who was hurt in a boat accident. Like car and truck accidents, boat accidents have the potential to cause serious and disabling injuries, and some victims may even experience life-threatening injuries.
When those injuries occur due to someone else’s negligence, victims deserve the opportunity to pursue compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you or someone you love were hurt in a boat accident through no fault of your own, you shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for your own accident-related expenses. When you choose us to handle your case, you can count on us to:
- Prove the accident was preventable—Whether the operator of the boat you were on failed to uphold his or her duty, or your accident was caused by the operator of another vessel, our attorneys can find out who was responsible and hold them liable for your injuries.
- Calculate how much the accident will cost you—Between medical bills and lost wages, boat accident victims may experience serious financial hardships. We’ll determine exactly how much your injuries will cost you now and in the future, and we’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation.
Don’t let a day of summer fun turn into a lifetime of hardship. Contact us today—our legal team is ready to put their experience to work for you and your family.
June 5th, 2018
Big trucks are an essential part of the nation’s economy, and they represent a sizeable number of vehicles on Missouri’s highways and interstates at any given time. But because of their weight and size—especially in comparison to passenger vehicles—they can pose serious risks to drivers and passengers during crashes.
At Cofman Townsley, our St. Louis truck accident attorneys help injured victims like you by investigating crashes and finding out who or what caused them. If we determine that negligence played a role, we’ll hold the liable party accountable for your accident-related expenses, including your medical bills and lost wages.
Three common forms of negligence that lead to truck crashes include:
- Driver error—Whether it’s speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or failing to abide by government-mandated rest periods, truck drivers can make mistakes that put other people’s lives in danger.
- Improper loading—All trucks have maximum weight limits, and their trailers must be loaded properly and evenly. When any of those requirements are violated, trucks can be more difficult to maneuver, stop, or slow down, and that can lead to serious accidents.
- Negligent maintenance—Like all vehicles, trucks require frequent maintenance to run and perform at their best and safest. When semi-trucks don’t get the maintenance and repairs they need, critical parts can fail when they’re in motion, putting their drivers and other motorists at risk.
If you were hurt in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, we’re here to investigate and pursue a claim for compensation on your behalf. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
May 1st, 2018
You trusted your doctor, surgeon, or other healthcare provider to be attentive, cautious, and considerate when you were receiving care. But now you’re in worse shape than before—and it’s because of a medical professional’s negligence.
You may be facing a long road to recovery that involves extensive medical care, surgeries, and rehabilitation, and your return to work looks questionable at best. You’re ready to file a medical malpractice claim to get compensation for everything you’ve gone through, but you don’t know where to start or whether you’ll succeed against the hospital and its big insurance provider.
At Cofman Townsley, we know exactly what you’re going through. The system is stacked against average victims like you, and it’s easy for healthcare providers and their insurers to either deny payments to victims or offer them lowball settlements that don’t come close to paying for their malpractice-related expenses.
When you get our St. Louis medical malpractice lawyers on your side, you can count on us to:
- Prove medical malpractice occurred—Proving that a healthcare provider was negligent may seem difficult, but our experience and track record of success mean we know how to collect evidence that leaves no doubt.
- Prove your injuries or illness are related to malpractice—It’s not enough to just prove that a healthcare provider was negligent—you also must prove that it resulted in harm. Insurance companies are skeptical of injuries and illnesses, and that’s why we’ll use your medical records and expert testimony to prove you were harmed by a medical professional.
In addition, we’ll negotiate to get you the maximum settlement. You deserve full compensation for everything you’ve experienced. Call us today for a free consultation.
April 3rd, 2018
At Cofman Townsley, our St. Louis car accident attorneys are here for people who were hurt in crashes throughout Missouri and Southern Illinois. When we take on auto accident claims, it’s our goal to protect victims from the tactics that insurance companies often use to reduce or deny settlements. We know the tricks of the trade, and we’re able to stay one step ahead of them throughout the legal process.
However, we also know that many victims may be dealing with insurance companies and their teams of adjusters for the very first time. And because we can’t always be with our clients, we believe it’s important that they understand that insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny settlements.
Two ways they attempt to accomplish that include:
- Getting victims to admit fault for accidents – Whether it’s taking their words out of context, asking leading questions, or taking advantage of victims’ fuzzy memories of painful and traumatic accidents, insurance adjusters may try to get false “confessions” from victims.
- Getting victims to accept initial settlement offers – Insurance companies also know that victims are often very vulnerable immediately following their accidents. That’s when adjusters may offer settlements that seem substantial, but aren’t actually enough to compensate current and future medical bills and lost wages.
When victims admit fault or accept initial settlements, they often lose their ability to pursue further compensation, even with a lawyer on their side. That’s why it’s important to stick to the facts when you speak to adjusters and let your legal team handle communication with the insurance company.
You’ve been through enough after your accident, and you shouldn’t have to worry about adjusters who want to deny you the money you deserve. Leave that up to us—call today for a free consultation.
March 6th, 2018
If you were recently bitten by a dog, you know how painful the injury can be. However, many dog bite victims disregard or downplay their injuries, despite their potential severity and the serious complications that can arise when bites aren’t properly treated by medical professionals.
At Cofman Townsley, we know that dog bite injuries should never be taken lightly. Even minor bites have the potential of getting infected, while more serious bites that penetrate deeper into the skin can cause severe bleeding, infection, and even nerve damage.
If you or someone you love were hurt by someone else’s dog, you may be eligible for compensation for bite-related expenses such as:
- Medical bills – Going to a hospital or urgent care clinic can be costly, especially when you need any type of procedure. Even minor dog bites may require stitches and preventative injections, both of which can be expensive. Deeper, more serious dog bites may require surgery and prolonged stays in the hospital, especially if they result in infections.
- Lost wages – Dog bite victims are often bit on the hands, arms, or legs. Those areas of the body are prone to infection and nerve damage, which can make it difficult to stand or retain fine motor skills. People who are injured by dog bites may be unable to work for long periods of time, causing them to miss out on the paychecks that they and their loved ones depend on.
A serious dog bite can lead to serious complications, and our St. Louis dog bite lawyers are ready to pursue a claim for compensation on your behalf. Call us today for a free consultation.
February 6th, 2018
Prescription drugs aren’t the only things healthcare providers use to help their patients get better or find relief from the symptoms of serious illnesses and diseases. Medical devices are also popular options for a variety of ailments and conditions, and millions of Americans have received medical devices for everything from birth control and joint replacements to defibrillators and blood clot blockers.
Because medical devices often involve invasive procedures to be implanted inside patients’ bodies, they carry many inherent risks, including infection and bleeding. To make matters worse, some medical devices are fundamentally flawed due to poor designs and poor-quality materials.
When medical devices fail or break down inside patients’ bodies, they can cause serious health problems and complications, such as:
- Bleeding – Several medical devices are linked to potentially fatal bleeding, including hernia mesh, transvaginal mesh, and some types of birth control devices.
- Inflammation and pain – Joint replacement devices, including metal-on-metal hip replacements and knee implants, can be dangerous due to high levels of metal in the blood, infections, and damaged tissue and joints.
- Infections – Infection isn’t just an issue immediately after surgery or implantation for many medical devices—it’s an ongoing concern that can happen at any time, especially if the device causes bleeding or tissue damage.
The St. Louis defective product lawyers at Cofman Townsley are here to help if you or someone you love was hurt by a dangerous medical device. Call today for a free consultation. It’s our goal to help you get the money you deserve.